THAILAND – Udon Thani – Discover Isaan’s countryside by E-tak and taste local specialties
Classic, Family, Gastronomy, Sustainable
Country - City
Thailand - Udon Thani
Groups, Thematic Leisure
Possible year round, but subject to weather conditions
Loei / Udon Thani / Nong Khai
Loei / Udon Thani / Nong Khai
Northeastern Thailand, known as Isaan, is a vast region much of which is still unspoiled countryside. During this lunch experience guest get aboard a local tractor, locally called and E-tak, to explore these lush surroundings. Slowly making their way through villages, river beds and plantations they arrive at a scenic spot near a waterfall where they can relax and mingle with locals. While guests are enjoying this moment of peace, the villagers cook up some of the region’s most famous dishes right on the spot. After a simple but delicious meal a short ride by E-tak takes them back to the starting point of the trip.
- A truly local experience in the middle of the countryside
- The E-tak is a very fun and unique mode of transport
- A lot of variation throughout the trip, from local villages to river beds and rubber plantations
- The food for lunch is simple but very tasty, some of the dishes are prepared in bamboo which is very interesting to see
- The activity is popular with Thai people too, so there is the opportunity to mingle with locals
- Suitable for both FIT and GIT
Time And Transportation
|Loei city||Local village for the activity||125 kilometers||Car||2 hours 15 minutes||Good most of the time, mountainous roads before arriving at the village|
|Chiang Khan||Local village for the activity||75 kilometers||Car||1 hour 15 minutes||Good most of the time, mountainous roads before arriving at the village|
|Udon Thani city||Local village for the activity||140 kilometers||Car||2 hours 30 minutes||Good most of the time, mountainous roads before arriving at the village|
|Nong Khai city||Local village for the activity||125 kilometers||Car||2 hours 15 minutes||Good most of the time, mountainous roads before arriving at the village|
From 3 to 4 hours
How to sell it
- As a local experience in the countryside
- For anyone who loves local life and local food
- As a lunch option when traveling in Northern Isaan area, ideally between Loei and Udon Thani
- As a fun activity for young and old (unique transportation, possibility to play in the water, …)
Why this activity
- To expand our offer of activities we have in Isaan
- To have nice meal experiences in Northern Isaan that are suitable to a wide public
- Because we focus on immersion and local life in this region
Good to combine with
- A transfer between Chiang Khan to Nong Khai or Udon Thani
- A homestay in Baan Wang Nam Mok
Do not combine with
- Morning activities in major surrounding cities like Loei, Udon Thani or Nong Khai (arrival time at Khiri Wongkot village should be around 10.30, so there is no time for this)
- Other far away visits like Ban Chiang UNESCO site, Kham Chanot sanctuary, …
BEST FOR FIT
BEST FOR GIT
- This is not a Signature activity, so it is available to everyone. However, it is not widely known and our competitors currently don’t offer it.
- The activity can be found on some local online booking platforms like local alike, etc.
- A nice, local activity that can add a highlight to a trip in Northern Isaan
- Easy to include if the itinerary includes a stay in Chiang Khan and Nong Khai or Udon Thani
- Can be sold in different ways: as a local experience, as a food experience, for families, …
- Good price/quality, especially for bigger groups
- Not an Easia Signature product, so may be copied
- Difficult to include if not staying in Chiang Khan and Nong Khai or Udon Thani
- Subject to weather conditions
- The activity takes place in Khiri Wongkot village, which is located in a far corner of Udon Thani province. The location of the starting point is: https://goo.gl/maps/h1RzdvtkjWWanqpz9
- The activity is suitable for everyone in good physical condition (need to be able to sit on the floor)
- The activity is suitable for families with children of 3 years or older (for safety reasons during the E-tak ride)
- One E-tak can take 4-5 people
- Lunch consists of: papaya salad (ส้มตำ), hot and sour curry with banana stem (แกงส้มหยวกกล้วย), grilled salted fish (ปลาเผา), grilled chicken (ไก่ย่าง)
- Program of the activity:
- 10.30h: arrive at Khiri Wongkot village and get aboard an E-tak
- 10.30h – 11.30h: drive in the countryside, first through a village, then into a river bed and onward through fields and a rubber plantation
- 11.30h: Arrive at the lunch spot with some time to relax and possibility to bathe/swim for people who want to
- 12.00h -13.00h: Freshly cooked local lunch, served on under a bamboo roof.
- 13.00h – 13.30h: Drive back to the starting point via a shorter but scenic route, end of the activity.
- Seating on the E-tak is not super comfortable. It can be a bit bumpy and clients will need to sit on the floor (no bench)
- Food selection is limited. If advised in advance, some adaptions can be made, but the activity may not be suitable to people with very strict dietary restrictions.
- The activity is famous with local tourists, so weekends and especially long weekend and holidays can be very busy. Still most of the people will be local Thais though.
- The activity is seasonal. While it is possible all year round, some elements may be affected by the weather. For example: no water in the riverbed during the hot season, too much water or heavy rains during the rainy season, cool water during the cool season.
- 1-4 pax = 1500THB fixed price
- 5 pax = 1800THB fixed price
- 6 or more = 300THB/paxco
- Round-trip to the lunch spot by local E-tak transportation
- Local lunch near a waterfall: papaya salad (ส้มตำ), hot and sour curry with banana stem (แกงส้มหยวกกล้วย), grilled salted fish (ปลาเผา), grilled chicken (ไก่ย่าง)
- Drinking water during lunch
- Lunch and local transportation for guide
- Transportation to/from the starting point
- Easia Travel licensed guide
- Any extra purchases
- Tip to local people
- The activity takes place in Khiri Wongkot village, which technically is in Udon Thani province. As it is in a remote corner, in reality it is most easily accessed from either Chiang Khan or Nong Khai
Special Guide notes
- Make sure to coordinate in advance with the local people about food preferences of the clients
- Check in advance about the best time of arrival, to avoid arriving at the same time as other (big) groups
- The starting point is the best place to go to the toilet, make sure clients make use of it before getting on the E-tak
No similar activities in the area
Headman of Khiri Wongkot village
K. Narin (ผู้ใหญ่นรินทร์ อนันทวรรณ์, ผู้ใหญ่อ๋อย) Tel: 083-147-9004
Discover Isaan’s countryside by E-tak and taste local specialities
Get ready for an escape into nature among the wonderful mountainous surroundings of Northern Isaan.
To fully experience the region, climb aboard an E-tak, a type of local tractor, and make your way through fields, riverbeds and rubber plantations to reach a scenic spot by a waterfall. Here, your local hosts prepare a delicious, healthy jungle-cooked lunch, simple but really delicious! A truly local experience in beautiful surroundings.
Duration: approximately 3 hours – From 10:00 to 13:00
Meal included: Lunch
See factsheet for more information
Découverte de la campagne de l’Isaan en E-tak et dégustation de spécialités locales
Préparez-vous à une escapade dans la nature dans la charmante région montagneuse du nord de l’Isaan.
Pour une immersion complète, c’est un E-tak, une sorte de tracteur local, qui vous conduira à travers les champs, les lits de rivières et les plantations de caoutchouc jusqu’à un beau point de vue sur une cascade. Vos hôtes locaux vous y prépareront un déjeuner cuisiné dans la jungle, à la fois simple, sain et vraiment délicieux ! Une expérience locale authentique dans un cadre magnifique.
Durée : environ 3 heures – de 10 h à 13 h
Repas inclus : déjeuner
Consulter la fiche pour plus d’informations.
Entdecken Sie die Landschaft des Isan per E-Tak und kosten Sie lokale Spezialitäten
Machen Sie sich bereit für einen Ausflug in die wunderschöne bergige Landschaft des nördlichen Isan.
Um die Gegend mit allen Sinnen zu erfassen, besteigen Sie einen E-Tak, eine Art thailändischer Traktor, mit dem Sie durch Felder, Flussbetten und Kautschukplantagen zu einem idyllischen Ort an einem Wasserfall fahren. Dort werden Sie von Ihren einheimischen Gastgebern mit einem im Dschungel gekochten, gesunden Mittagessen erwartet, das ebenso einfach wie köstlich ist. Ein absolut authentisches Erlebnis in wunderschöner Umgebung.
Dauer: ca. 3 Stunden – von 10 bis 13 Uhr
Inbegriffene Mahlzeiten: Mittagessen
Weitere Informationen finden Sie auf dem Factsheet