LAOS – Xieng Khuang – Xieng Khuang Provincial Museum
Art & Culture, Classic, Sustainable
Country - City
Laos - Xieng Khuang
Groups, Thematic Leisure
All Year Round except Mondays
Opened in late 2018, the Xieng Khouang Provincial Museum is said to be ‘one of the best in Southeast Asia’
On the first-floor there are displays on Xieng Khuang‘s prehistory, including the mysterious Plain of Jars, and the magnificent Phuan Kingdom that once ruled the plateau.
On the second floor there is an insightful and concise exhibit on the Indochina Wars. There are also beautifully displayed fabric, clothing, musical instruments and artifacts belonging to the six main ethnic groups in Xieng Khouang. The struggle for an independent Laos is carefully and accurately portrayed. Four short movies play continuously in a purpose-built film room covering topics from cultural diversity and provincial attractions through to moving accounts of the Indochina Wars.
Can be combined with
- A good opportunity for people interested in the history of Laos.
- An interesting activity in the town center which complements a visit of the Jar Sites.
- A short activity ideal as a time filler.
Time And Transportation
|Vansana Plain of Jars Hotel||MAG and UXO Center||2||Minivan||5 minutes||Good|
- Visits usually take around 1 hour for both centers, though depending on their level of interest, guests can stay as long as they wish.
How to sell it
- Time filler – on the way back or before the transfer.
- Suitable for all markets, all budget customers – FIT and small GIT.
- An excellent opportunity to learn about the often overlooked history of Laos.
- A way to learn about the social impact of the American War.
Why this activity
- Developed to have some time filler options in Phonsavan.
- Designed to complement a visit of the Jar sites and Muang Khoun.
Good to combine with
- A visit of the Plain of Jars and Muang Khoun
- A visit to the MAG and UXO Centers
- A visit the the Mulberry Silk Farm
Do not combine with
- A visit of the Plain of Jars and transfers out on the same day.
BEST FOR FIT
BEST FOR GIT
- This is provided as a time filler by other DMCs as well.
- Easy to arrange. No need to book in advance.
- Inexpensive so easy to add to a program without dramatically increasing the cost.
- May be a bit boring if people are not interested in the topic.
- May be boring for children.
- This is a very well designed museum with the information very well presented.
- Open Tuesday to Sunday 9am-4pm
- More information – https://xkmuseumlaos.org/
- Closed on Mondays
- Xieng Khuang > Entrance Fees > Entrance Fees in Xieng Khuang > Xieng Khouang Provincial Museum
- Entrance Fee
- Easia guide
- Purchases at the gift shop
- Open Tuesday to Sunday 9am-4pm
- No need to book ahead.
Special Guide notes
- Guide should stay with clients and translate if they do not understand English
- This is one of the best museums in Laos. TAEC in Luang Prabang could be an alternative but just for the textile part.
- Phone: +856 61 212 366
- Email: email@example.com
Xieng Khouang Provincial Museum
Opened in late 2018, the Xieng Khouang Provincial Museum is said to be ‘one of the best in Southeast Asia’. On the first-floor you’ll find the displays on Xieng Khuang‘s prehistory, including the mysterious Plain of Jars, and the magnificent Phuan Kingdom that once ruled the plateau. On the second floor you’ll discover an insightful and concise exhibit on the Indochina Wars. The struggle for an independent Laos is carefully and accurately portrayed. You will also be able to learn about the beautifully displayed fabric, clothing, musical instruments and artifacts belonging to the six main ethnic groups in Xieng Khouang. In an adjoining room, four short movies play continuously covering topics from cultural diversity and provincial attractions through to moving accounts of the Indochina Wars.
Notes: Closed on Mondays. Opening Hours 9am-4pm
Museo Provincial Xieng Khouang
Inaugurado a finales de 2018, se dice que el Museo Provincial Xieng Khouang es “uno de los mejores del sudeste asiático”. En el primer piso encontrará las exhibiciones de la prehistoria de Xieng Khuang, incluyendo información sobre la misteriosa Llanura de las Jarras y el magnífico Reino Phuan que una vez gobernó la meseta. En el segundo piso descubrirá una exposición perspicaz y concisa sobre las Guerras de Indochina. La lucha por un Laos independiente se representa con cuidado y precisión. También podrá aprender sobre los productos textiles, la ropa, los instrumentos musicales y los artefactos bellamente exhibidos y que pertenecen a los seis principales grupos étnicos en Xieng Khouang. En una sala contigua, se reproducen cuatro cortometrajes que cubren temas que abarcan desde la diversidad cultural y las atracciones provinciales hasta relatos conmovedores de las Guerras de Indochina.
Notas: Cerrado los lunes. Horario de apertura 9 am-4pm