THAILAND – Khura Buri – Surin islands snorkeling and Moken village
Country - City
Thailand - Phang Nga
Groups, Thematic Leisure
Level of difficulties
From November to April only - Mu Koh Surin National Park is closed during rainy season
Khura Buri - Khao Lak
Khura Buri - Khao Lak
This full-day tour starts at Khura Buri Greenview pier from where a 2 engine speedboat will take the travelers to the Surin Archipelago.
After a safety briefing by staff about how to snorkel, and ensuring that the mask, snorkel, and fins are correctly sized for each participant, the boat will depart on the 1 hour 15 minute ride to the beautiful Surin Islands Archipelago.
3 snorkeling sessions are scheduled. Spots can be adjusted by the crew depending the weather, and guides’ expertise to provide the best snorkeling experience and a nice encounter with underwater fauna.
After a first stop in May Yai Bay, the boat will anchor at the main island for a buffet lunch. Some time will be left to discover the surroundings and the pristine beaches of the island, sunbathe, and relax until the next snorkeling session among the colorful corals of Sapparod Bay and Bon Bay. A visit to the nearby Moken village is possible and provides an opportunity to learn about the unique way of life of the sea nomads, sadly threatened and forced to become sedentary.
On the way back the boat will pass by the green Koh Ra, before arriving in Khura Buri around 16:30.
- The amazing beauty of the Surin Island archipelago is less crowded than the other Andaman sea islands.
- 3 nice and colorful snorkeling experiences of approximately 1 hour 30 minutes each, guided by experienced, friendly and helpful crew.
- An opportunity to learn about the challenges faced by the Moken community, threatened by modernization and deforestation
- Safety standards are well respected and tour organizers well trained.
Time And Transportation
|Khao Lak||Greenview pier Khura Buri||87||1.15 hour||car||Good|
|Phuket||Greenview pier Khura Buri||160 – 210||2.30 to 3 hours||car||Good|
|Greenview pier Khura Buri||Surin Islands||60||1 hour||Speedboat||Sea|
|Greenview pier Khura Buri||Khao Sok||100||1.30 hour||car||Good|
- 8 hours – from 08:30 to 16:30 (excluding transfers to Khura Buri pier)
How to sell it
- A really worthwhile experience for people staying in Khao Lak (where sea tours opportunities are sometimes limited or need a long drive)
- Ideal for families and snorkeling fans
- As a safe and well controlled snorkeling tour suitable for beginners. A not too challenging tour. Active leisure – level 0. Not any specific snorkeling level required
- Avoid selling it to too ederly people: the boat ride could be unconfortable and be bumping sometimes.
- Not suitable for too young babies: sunny, no comfortable place to stay in the boat while parents are doing snorkeling
- Avoid selling it if guests are staying in Kata, Karon, Panwa, Naiharn: otherwise it will turn to be very long drive
- If guests staying in Khao Lak or Khura Buri, it is possible to combine the tour with a ride to Khao Sok to combine and create a nature minded program
- Don’t sell it to expert scuba divers
Why this activity
- Surin islands is one of the most scenic landscapes of Thailand: a must have in portfolio for sea related activities.
- Being able to offer something different than the main stream Phi Phi island full day tour.
- Being able to propose an active leisure that would be different than the regular cycling or hiking tour in the south.
Good to combine with
- Cheow Larn Lake full day tour in Khao Sok
- Nature adventures 4D3N in Khao Sok.
- A stay in Koh Phratong
- A stroll in Takua Pa walking street on sunday
Do not combine with
- Any other full day tour on the same day.
- A too long overland transfer after the full day (to avoid a too late arrival to next destination)
BEST FOR GIT
All DMC are able to propose Surin islands and visit of Moken village.
- The Surin Archipelago is a must see and more preserved than similar mass touristic destinations like Koh Phi Phi
- The flow of tourists even in high season seems to be well controlled by the National Park authorities and different suppliers operating here: boat rotations, not too many people at the same time on snorkeling spots, not too many people at the same time on the beaches
- A well trained and experience crew especially to guide the snorkeling. Also very friendly and helpful
- Safety standards well respected. Life jacket, size of fin an masks, safe boat well maintained and clean
- A not too physically challenging tour: ideal for active leisure
- The visit of the Moken community could give a slight sustainable dimension but don’t use it too much as a selling point
- Breakfast area at Greenview pier proposing juice, coffee, toasts and fruits included
- Big groups still – 40 person onboard
- Plastic sealed water cup provided by the crew. Up to clients to open them or not. Advise travel agent and recommend that guest have their own bottles.
- Weather dependant and seasonal (no possible from Mai to October as the National Park is closed during rainy season)
- Khura buri is a bit far if you sell it from Phuket
- Moken village visit isn’t the highlight of the tour
- Mu Koh Surin National Park is closed during rainy season from Mai to October. During this period the tour cannot operate
- Snorkeling spot can be changed depending of water tide by safety first
- Activity provided by Greenview Tour – Please refer to contract
- Round Trip Boat Transfer
- National Park Admission Fee
- Mask+Snorkel+Fin, Life Jacket
- Soft drink and fresh fruit on board
- Local Insurance
- Local Guide
- Transfer to/from Khura Buri Greenview pier
- Easia Escort Guide
- Easia Guide can go along but the guidage will be handled by the crew and staff of the supplier. So the guide might be or feel useless. (except for third language translations
- If an Easia escort guide is required, ensure to provide an active guide who like sea activities and snorkeling
- Boat will depart at 09:00 but guests must be at the pier at 08:30.
- Tour ends at 16:30 at the pier.
- Sunrise Koh Phi Phi
- Similan Island Tour
Tel: 076 401 400 2, 081 958 0736, 081 958 1543, 081 895 6186
Khun Noi or/and Khun Rattana
Board a speedboat in Khura Buri and cruise the turquoise sea to the secluded green, sandy archipelago of the Surin Islands. This is where you’ll find the Moken community: sea gypsies who’ve lived for centuries in total harmony with this green-and-blue environment and ecosystem. A visit to their village will teach you all about the island’s almost forgotten way of life based largely on fishing. Then you’ll discover, at three different snorkeling spots, a hidden, perfectly preserved beautiful water world. Jump from the deck and let the stillness of the Andaman Sea wash over you for an unforgettable swimming experience among the area’s unique tropical marine fauna and beautiful coral.
Duration: 8h from 08:30 to 16:30 (excluding transfers)
Meal included: light breakfast and drink before departure and buffet lunch and soft drinks
Program includes 3 snorkeling session of approximate 30 – 45 min – no specific snorkeling level is required – Difficulty level 0
November to April only.
Not available for children under 4 years old.
Not available for people over 70 years old.