THAILAND – Phuket – Observe Gentle Giants at Phuket Elephant Sanctuary
A chance to meet elephants up close in an ethical setting at Phuket’s first elephant sanctuary. The visit will be an amazing educational experience with unforgettable moments with the gentle giants.
Classic, Family, Sustainable
Country - City
Thailand - Phuket
Groups, Thematic Leisure
Possible all year round (but the best period is from November until April)
Elephants have been part of Thai culture for centuries and they play a central role in the country’s history. But while they are highly respected by local people, they are often used to help with hard manual labor because of their size and power. After the ban on teak wood logging, these majestic elephants found a new home in the tourism industry, which unfortunately did not always mean an improvement for the elephants in terms of living standards. Luckily, several places approached elephant tourism from an ethical point of view, putting the elephants’ well-being first.
Phuket Elephant Sanctuary is the first place on the island to take this approach. During a visit, there will be plenty of time to learn about these majestic creatures and about how Phuket Elephant Sanctuary tries to help them. A unique opportunity to see these friendly giants up close in an ethical environment.
- Minimal interaction, focused on observation
- A well-established elephant sanctuary in Phuket, the pioneer when it comes to ethical elephant tourism
- A nice activity for young and old
Time And Transportation
|Patong||Phuket Elephant Sanctuary||31 kilometers||Car||55 minutes|
|Mai Khao||Phuket Elephant Sanctuary||22 kilometers||Car||35 minutes|
|Rawai||Phuket Elephant Sanctuary||37 kilometers||Car||1 hour|
|Phuket Town||Phuket Elephant Sanctuary||20 kilometer||Car||30 minutes|
Approximately 3 hours 30 minutes (from 09:30 until 13.00, or 13:30 until 17:00 excluding transfer)
How to sell it
- As an opportunity to see elephants up-close in an ethical setting
- A fun activity for young and old that can be a great break from beach/sea activities
- As a sustainable elephant interaction
Why this activity
- To have a sustainable elephant activity in Phuket in our database
- To have more variety in terms of experiences in Phuket
- To have an activity offer in Phuket that caters to a wide public
Good to combine with
- Evening activities, but do keep in mind that it will make for a tiring day.
Do not combine with
- Other elephants activities (including in other parts of Thailand)
- Other half-day or full-day activities that overlap with the timings.
BEST FOR FIT
BEST FOR GIT
- This is not an Easia Signature activity, all competitors offer this activity
- A sustainable activity
- Can help to make a long beach stay at Phuket more varied
- A well-established supplier that offers a quality experience
- Similar to other elephant experiences as they can be found in other parts of Thailand, nothing special related to Phuket
- Even though they claim to be a sanctuary, they are a business and there is a commercial aspect
- The program is focused around observation, there is no riding or bathing with the elephants
- There is a bit of walking, but it is accessible to anyone in general good condition
- The elephant camp allows for a total capacity of up to 100pax, so possible for special interest groups with a budget
- It is a sustainable camp, inspired by and linked to the famous Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai
- One meal is included as well as some snacks
- The place is very famous and the capacity is limited, so in peak season advance bookings are absolutely necessary
- The program takes place, rain or shine. During the rainy season rain coats and umbrellas will be provided if necessary.
Starting at 2800THB
Phuket –> Activity –> Phuket Elephant Sanctuary –> 01. A Morning with the Elephants (incl. join round trip transfer)/03. An Afternoon with the Elephants (incl. join round trip transfer)
- Food & Beverage (Snacks, Cold & Hot Drinks, 1 Vegetarian Meal)
- Feeding the Elephants
- Mosquito Spray
- Umbrellas, Wellies Boots & Rain Coat
- Personal purchases and expenses
- There is the possibility to privatize the programs at Phuket Elephant Sanctuary. This is not privatization of the place, but there will be a private guide and more personal attention
The pickup time will depend on the location of the hotel. This information can be found here: https://www.phuketelephantsanctuary.org/en/faq/
Phuket Elephant Sanctuary Co., Ltd.
Address : 100 Moo 2, Paklok Sub-District
Thalang District, Phuket 83110
Observe gentle giants at Phuket Elephant Sanctuary
You will be picked up at your hotel and drive to Phuket Elephant Sanctuary, the island’s first real ethical elephant sanctuary. Upon your arrival you will receive an orientation briefing that will provide you with all the necessary background information to make the most out of your visit. Then, it will be time to marvel at the sanctuary’s inhabitants from a safe distance as the focus of Phuket Elephant Sanctuary is on observation with as little interaction as possible. However, you will have the exciting opportunity to see the gentle giants up close during their feeding time when you provide them with nutritious snacks. You can let the amazing memories sink in as you enjoy a healthy meal before returning back to your hotel.
- Meals included: lunch or dinner (depending on the time of the activity)
- Supplier: Phuket Elephant Sanctuary – A Morning with the Elephants – An Afternoon with the Elephants (incl. join round trip transfer)
- There is a full day option available but it is not recommended