As most of the world emerges slowly and cautiously out of Covid19’s shadow, we begin to see the impact of how countries and regions have managed the virus. As we wait patiently for news of travel restrictions to lift, it’s apparent how amazingly well our destinations have coped. As the stats would indicate, the almost instant measures imposed by our destinations (as far back as February) truly helped to contain the situation in an incredibly impressive way.
Vietnam in particular has done an amazing job, not only in keeping the infection count low but also in avoiding a single mortality from the virus so far. For some reason, their achievement has gone largely unnoticed by the world, but we believe it deserves some special attention.
As of today, Vietnam has only 352 recorded cases and ZERO deaths due to Covid19.
Some of the main takeaways have been:
- Immediate proactive measures were taken by the Vietnamese government to prevent the spread of the virus (closing of the Chinese border on 01 February, effective track and trace procedure implemented, etc.)
- Complete immediate lock-down of any area with outbreaks (such as the 21-day isolation of Son Loi Commune in Vinh Phuc)
- Vietnam has learned greatly from the SARS outbreak in 2003, and has systems in place to prevent new viruses from spreading
- Vietnamese people followed the requests and guidelines of the government immediately, to help keep their communities safe
- The government began handing out masks – for free – to anyone who needed them (including tourists), while many nations in the western world, (even the WHO), were still downplaying the protective factors of masks
- CNN → https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/29/asia/coronavirus-vietnam-intl-hnk/index.html
- Center for Strategic & International Studies → https://www.youtube.com/embed/hkIMlnlIkaU
- South China Morning Post → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0P2xhfJJgI
- Newsy → https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdskXhWADI4
- Sunrise News on Facebook → https://www.facebook.com/Sunrise/videos/818615075214684/
- South China Morning Post on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2730354870404055
- ABC.net: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-22/thailand-defies-odds-to-successfully-manage-coronavirus-pandemic/12359632
Eager to know how we can help you extend your active and adventure travel offer for exotic, affordable and safe destinations like Thailand and Vietnam on your markets, once the borders will reopen (hopefully) later this year? Contact us directly at [email protected]!